Monday, September 19, 2011

What does being an "Iron Momma" mean?

Booboo had blood work done about two months ago and came back positive for anemia. I've been giving him iron supplements and tried increasing the iron in his diet. Easier said than done! He won't eat meat, won't eat beans, won't eat veggies! I don't know what else to do.

Here I am at 1:47 re-reading an article about iron deficiency. Wanting to rip my eyes out in the process. Apparently, if you didn't know, iron deficiencies cause mental and motor skill set backs due to lack of blood traveling to the brain. My son has been anemic for about 6 months I will roughly estimate. And it doesn't seem to be going away. He still bruises easily, he is tired for a big part of the day, and the dark circles under his eyes are killing me.

Iron momma - I started this "mommy blog" in hopes of sharing my experiences in helping my son's anemia get better, and so far I haven't succeeded. I had thought that he'd be tested again in October but his doctor decided to wait until January to evaluate it again.

I need to do more but I just don't know how much I can actually do with such a picky eater. I blame myself for teaching him to be like this, and I blame myself for not realizing sooner that he had a problem. Now he might possibly be held back cognitively because I didn't do a good job at feeding him what he needed.

I want solutions but it's kicking my ass and I sit here helpless.

2 comments:

  1. Maria, you do an AMAZING job 7 days a week and 365 a year... pat yourself on the back for that! His anemia will get better, and more manageable. Aaaand one day his picky eating habits might too!! lol love the Iron momma now that I get it, you are so creative! Have you checked into things like pediasure, and ovaltine... maybe he could have a fiber shake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome girl! I am so proud of your strength and dedication to the lil monster ;-) He will be great and everything will work out! You will figure out a way girl, I know you will! I'll look up some stuff too and lets see how Iron Momma can beat this anemia. Keep your head up girl, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete